View Single Post
Old 01-10-2021, 02:17 AM   #56
omodified

Re: "Midnight Rider" 1970 C10 SWB Fleetside

While the frame is out of my shop, I wanted to work on something else that had been on my mind. For this build, I plan to reuse the same 15 inch wheels and tires that was already on the truck. I really like the 2000-2010 center caps that I have. What I never paid attention to before I tore it all down, was that the color of the center cap bowties were gold.

All of the other bowties on the truck are blue (hood, glove box, steering wheel horn button). I wanted to come up with something better. I looked all over the internet and couldn't find anything that was was close to looks and size of what I have now. Something UV resistant was important too so they will last. I tried to find somebody that would custom make them, but it was too expensive to order only few. So, I took matters into my own hands.

I found these on EBAY. Gel type stickers, but plain. They even have the same machined finish as the originals.

I also, found these on EBAY. Blue foil bowties.

I needed to figure out a way to protect the blue foil sticker from weather and peeling up when I clean them with a rag or whatever. I did some research and found this doming resin. It's basically what manufacturers of center cap logos use. It's a two part epoxy. You drizzle it over your part and it slowly spreads out but has a doming effect. It hardens in 24 hours to a nice, clear, pliable surface. I ordered some, so we will test it out.

Board Member #87725
My build thread... http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=813848
omodified is offline   Reply With Quote