View Single Post
Old 01-21-2016, 01:15 PM   #2
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Gauge Cluster Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleSeal View Post
So, I'm reassembling my gauge cluster as my truck is on it's way back together soon. I've got a used cluster and all the basic parts for it, so here's my question:
Does the backing plate have to be bare metal? Or can it be painted so it doesn't rust? I thought it served as some sort of ground since the sheet wiring is laid on it.
Is there any way to put a new line to the oil pressure gauge? Looks like someone cut mine to remove it and never reinstalled one.
Is there anything special I need to know about reinstalling this with a new AAW harness?

1970 Chevrolet C10, basic rebuild of truck, no fancy EFI or power windows.
Your instrument lights actually ground to the plate through the printed circuit board so the plate also has to be grounded to the truck chassis (cab). You could paint it but make sure the ground points are clean and grounded.
The two screws by the high beam light and the cluster plug on the orange wire in the third diagram show them grounding the circuit board to the plate.
You can see them when you remove the circuit board.

The oil pressure gauge should be an easy fix if the threads are good on the gauge you can just replace the line. You can get a new line with nuts at the auto parts store.

Name:  !cid_41C4D85D17D9418AA9AE410DA9D317A1@OWNER.jpg
Views: 2105
Size:  86.7 KB

Name:  dash.jpg
Views: 1517
Size:  94.2 KB

Name:  guage wiring.jpg
Views: 1479
Size:  42.1 KB

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote