View Single Post
Old 03-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #52
JOJABOY

Re: HEI distributor tuning problem

People say 3000 because it's definitely all in by then. Most curves kick in total advance around 2200 like you mentioned. So that part is good. You just have to figure out why your motor is so finicky. I would check my plug gaps. But I would venture to say change to heavier spring is going to be your next move. Try to get that all in down from 47. It shouldn't take much. Some people put stops in their HEI to keep the weights from fully advancing or a stop in their Vac advance to keep it from fully advancing. You can google "vacuum advance can stop" and see what I am talking about.

I am running two blue springs with my cam set up. My vac advance can was advancing around 18* like yours (which is quite a bit) and I got an adjustable one and dialed it back to 12* of advance.

So my initial timing is 10* plus 16* of mechanical advance (centrifugal) and my vac can advances it another 12* so my all in is at 48*

Yours is 8, 20 and 19 it sounds like to get 47* all in. Will your vacuum advance dial it down any???? 19* vacuum advance is ALOT
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote