View Single Post
Old 08-12-2014, 10:07 AM   #40
DBD

Re: 400 in the 68 Chevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby277 View Post
Please elaborate DBD?
Why wouldn't a thicker head gasket drop my Compresdion ratio?
Where are you getting that it expects me to resize my rods?
And why wouldn't you use a high volume oil pump?
Just Curious! Thanks
your quench will be terrible with a thick gasket - if you expect to have the pistons .020 or so down in the hole your quench with an .051 gasket would be .071+...around twice what you want. quench is really important on the street because it determines detonation sensitivity and has an impact on power.

imho, these "im going to do this now, and then later I'll do this" builds don't work very well...

if you're reusing your existing rotating assembly then your crank will have to be machined and your rods will be resized - you're already talking with your machine shop, right?

hv pumps steal hp and with tight clearances make for sky-high oil pressure and the pump being in bypass all the time - bad, bad, bad. hv pumps are a leftover from when people were running wide clearances and as a crutch for a worn engine...not for performance use. and most of the stock replacement pumps aren't made for performance use...I only use the melling select performance pumps.

My thinking on vortcs is that if your spending money to upgrade them you should just buy better heads...

Last edited by DBD; 08-12-2014 at 10:31 AM.
DBD is offline   Reply With Quote