View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 09:59 PM   #526
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Another miscellaneous project for today was to replace the fuel fill tube with one I got from Mel at Classic Bowtie. Compare the old one with the new one! (Photo #1) No wonder it wouldn't seal. After I got the old one removed a couple of pieces of pot metal fell out of it helping confirm my theory that a locking cap had at some point been removed with excessive force.
Pretty straightforward job. 3 screws and two hose clamps. I was unable to find a Suburban specific gasket for between the back side of the fender and the mounting flange on the filler. I did find that an early Nova/ Chevy II fuel fill gasket is the same size but has a different bolt pattern. (Photo #2 see the small silver dots on the gasket showing the Suburban bolt pattern)
The third photo is the gasket done and the tube is sealed up so I can shove it into place and not get a bunch of crud in the tube/tank.
Of course my locking cap doesn't fit this nice undamaged tube! The tabs are two wide to fit the filler tube slots. But I know how to take it apart and modify it to work. Sounds like a good rainy day project.
I was also excited to start countersinking the replacement angle for the back edge of the plywood, but I found that the new piece I had made is not the right size. Uhhhggg!!!!
The top or long side of the angle is too short. It appears that they measured the bottom inside dimension and then transferred that measure to the top outside dimension. Or in other word's the top piece is about 3//32" too narrow. Which isn't really a deal breaker, but it isn't what I paid for, and if I was only replacing the angle and not the wood also there would be a odd gap.
So tomorrow it's back to the sheet metal shop. Yea!
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote