View Single Post
Old 08-18-2020, 12:55 PM   #16
biketopia

Re: New 2 ME 14 Sierra SWB 5.3-6spd Hope I didn't blow it...

You'll like it lowered, I'm going to lower my 08 about the same. Just like with the old trucks, buy a quality and thought out drop and it will give you comfort and security for many miles to come. As far as the DOD also see if you have VVT. DOD/AFM are acronyms for the same system, VVT a phaser on the front of the cam to advance or retard cam timing a few degrees while driving to gain better power/economy, think there's an extra sensor or the cam sensor has 5 wires vs 3 on vvt or non trucks. The DOD cuts out 4 cylinders at cruise. Yes you can tune out DOD, but it's typically the hard parts the cause issues, namely the DOD lifter. They get debirs in them and then dont pump with oil and bam, you've got a dead cylinder. The best thing you can do for an engine with DOD is be religious about your oil changes, and use a good paper filter, not a K&N or other cold air. GM released a TSB about air filters being a leading cause of DOD lifter failure. My 08 had 187k miles on it when I bought it, I deleted the DOD and put a cam in it, some long tubes and routed it back through the factory muffler and tail pipe. Has a nice little rumble at idle but nice and quiet at cruise, but there's definitely some more power there. That engine looked pretty clean inside, but I have a 2012 with 99k at work with a failed lifter, we're just sending that to auction, not worth us tearing into it on a fleet truck that the hybrid unit is about to fail on anyways.

07 Silverado Classic 2wd

95 Camaro 427SBC/TH350
biketopia is offline   Reply With Quote