Thread: My shop
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2021, 12:41 PM   #17
dsraven

Re: My shop

I think contractors everywhere are slow on the uptake for small jobs. More money and less time moving equipment and supplies around on the bigger jobs so they take priority. Lots of workers here in Canada are also on a govt paid program due to covid so they dont really feel like workingwhen the govt is payingthwm to stay home. Contractors and businesses in general are having a hard time finding workers. Even a lot of the mcdonalds type only have the drive through open due to lack of staff. Hang in there, it'll get there.
What size is your shop going to be? Hard to tell from the pics but it looks like a good size if the big doors are 8 or 9ft wide. What will your cieling height be? Mine is 9'10" due to a max height of 15' at the top of the roofing material outside, measured from the top of the concrete floor. Its a little short sometimes. I spec'd the trusses cor the weight of roof tiles so it naturally holds more weight, then added a floor surface 18" above the drywall to be above the blown in insulation and added a hatch to get up there. Lots of my truck parts are up there waiting their turn. I also wired a couple of lights which are great but shouldda been at least 3 or 4 instead of 2.. outside there are spot lights and plugs on each wall plus a motion detector man door light and an rv plug on 1 wall. Inside I put the compressor close to the man door for easy access to cool air in the summer plus its easy to turn off when done for the day if the shop is full of stuff. There is a ompressorplug in onthe other side as well in case I wanna change onfiguration later. The compressor air filter is in the attic for less noise in the shop and cleaner, cooler, more dense air. It is plumbed in with 3" pvc pipe with an air filter housing from an s10 attached to the end. The air lines run across the cieling to hose reels in each bay and drops for water drains as well as take offs for air near the solvent wash tank and at the centee post between the doors.5 reels in total. It is wired like a kitchen with split plugs set at 8ft apart and 54" off the floor so you dont have to use an extension cord or worry about blowing a breaker with multiple tools working at the same tim plus a sheet of plywood, metal or shop jacks et can be leaned against the wall and the plugs are still accessable. There is a cord reel between the bays as well and a 20 amp plug on each side to run high draw stuff like table saws etc. A welder plug at the front and a master shut off switch for the garage door openers that is hidden in a bank of light switces so thieves have to work a little harder. The lower 4 1/2' are sheet metal siding around the workbench area so the drywall doesnt get chewed up and the plan is to finish that look all the way around. It helps with keeping things clean as it is easy to power wash. The lower part of the walls is treated plywood sealed to the floor and drywall so water doesnt get back there. The floor is graded to drain out the big doors and the concrete foundation is higher than the floor to help keep water from wicking up the walls as well. I use lateral filing cabinets for storage and that helps keep stuff out of sight as well as organised and a little less dusty.
Anyway, just a few ideas for you or possibly a lurker since you cant be banging nails or panels right now. Keep us posted and good luck with the contractors. Hopefully you had a great Christmas and have new years eve planned out.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote