View Single Post
Old 01-29-2018, 08:43 PM   #17
RyanNewberry

Re: 1987 350tbi smog delete. What needs to be removed, plugged or any of that good st

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselSJ View Post
I'd be interested to hear what the "valid" points are for removing EGR? EGR is only commanded in light throttle or cruise and has zero negative effects on performance. My TBI 454 picked up about 1/2mpg (that is significant when you are talking 10 vs 10.5) consistently since I worked out my EGR issues. EGR does not have a negative effect on power.

Contrary to what people say, you can have a clean burning engine that makes great power.

As for running premium...why? Do you have detonation issues on lower octane? Ideally you want to run the lowest octane possible. Higher octane does not add power, and can actually hurt power due to the slower burn.

Hatzie was on the money with the open element filter - you will lose more power than you would ever gain.

Personally I would avoid TBIChips and go with http://www.dynamicefi.com/ and tune it yourself.
I run premium in all my vehicles. I never like ethenol and it for some reason seems to gum up carbs and tbi units. I have done it my entire life. Just seem to have good luck with it I guess. I understand the open filter but I’m not really looking for power quite yet. Eventually the new engine will be built and we will go from there. The egr I’m on the fence with, I’ve heard many different ideas with t and I appreciate them all.
RyanNewberry is offline   Reply With Quote