View Single Post
Old 10-20-2022, 03:05 PM   #214
59chev

Re: 59 Apache - Lifelong obsession

Time for a long overdue update. I got my truck on the road at the end of May and had a great summer enjoying it at car shows and weekly cruise nights.

It was so awesome to experience this truck again with all the upgrades vs driving it in stock form. On my first drive, my muscle memory reached my hand out out for a manual gear shift that wasn't there anymore. All the upgrades accomplished the goal of a better ride and smooth cruising at highway speeds. With the overdrive and 3.23 rear gear I am running 1900 rpm at 70 MPH.

I decided that I didn't want a stained wood bed floor this time around, so I finished the box off with a simple sheet of good quality sanded plywood. I painted the bottom and covered the top with roll on box liner. I wanted to be able to throw my cooler and golf clubs in there without worrying about it. I finished the bed off by re-using the flat metal strips and stainless button head fasteners from the local bolt supply. I had to raise the bed floor 3 1/2" so I chopped up my original rear sill to fill the gap. I got rid of the tailgate chains and used spring pins to hold the tailgate shut, then installed a folding link kit for when the tailgate is opened. Lastly I installed a Craftech tonneau cover and a reproduction rear bumper to finish off the bed.

Looking at the forecast, It will be time to put it away for the winter soon. I have a few projects planned over the winter mostly focused on the interior, like sound deadening, new window seals, ect.
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/showthread.php?t=622133"]59 Apache - Lifelong obsession
59chev is offline   Reply With Quote