View Single Post
Old 04-24-2021, 11:08 AM   #24
SCOTI

Re: I couldn't afford a SS 396 at 18 and 50 years later I still cant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lil hoodlum View Post
When I was 16 and getting my first car I wasn't picky at all. I would have been happy with a VW bug, Fiat Spyder, Camaro, Trans Am, or would loved to have a corvette.

What did I end up with? A 1976 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme 4 door in poop brown and a beige vynail (spelling?) top with a performance producing 260 cubic inch V8 of lackluster horsepower. Oh well, I was just happy to have a set of wheels and some freedom.
As a young-gun, my siblings & I used to be watched over by the daughter of a family friend when my parents went out for a night. This young lady got a 4dr Ford Granada as her 1st car. I remember clear as yesterday telling my parents in zero uncertain terms that a car like that would be a hard NO for me. My mom said if I got anything from them, it would be the current Dodge Aspen station wagon she was driving @ the time. "If that wasn't good enough, you can use your own money & buy what you want". Task accepted.

I started mowing more yards & worked (under-age) @ a fast-food restaurant as a grunt.

I wound up buying a pretty cool '64 Chevy short-step w/a SBC/4spd Muncie combo. It wasn't that Holy-Grail '70 SS454 (I would have settled for a SS396 ) or a '69 Camaro, but I'd say I did all-right.

I'm building my current '64 like I wanted back then as a 16yr old w/o any resources. With 'Time' doing it's thing, the list has been amended .
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote