View Single Post
Old 03-03-2024, 10:26 AM   #1
67 twins

Tip for 292 head R&R with engine in vehicle.

This post is for anyone who has wondered how to deal with the pushrods on cylinder 6 hitting the firewall when you try to remove them. I've seen different crazy ways people have dealt with this issue. Rotating the engine on the passenger mount, pulling the engine stands so the engine will tilt forward,drilling holes in the firewall etc. I've thought about this for awhile and had an idea but wanted to make sure it worked first before saying anything. So now after having done the head swap, this is how you do the job easily without any of that.

After pulling the other pushrods and removing all the head bolts, lift the #6 pushrods up until they clear the engine deck. Hold them up with rubber bands, orings or something similar. I used orings wrapped around the pushrod & the rocker stud. lift the head slightly and push it to the passenger side just enough to slip the pushrods out the bottom.
On reassembly lay the head gasket on the block. Then lay 2 thin strips of wood on the head gasket. This allows you to push the head to the side without damaging the head gasket. So slip the pushrods back in from the bottom securing them with the orings. Position the head properly and carefully remove the wood strips. Proceed with remainder of head installation.
72 C1500 Sierra Grande 350 TH350 longbed fleetside=wife's fair weather truck
Can you tell we are fans of longbed fleetsides & 67s
Chris
67 twins is offline   Reply With Quote