View Single Post
Old 07-28-2021, 09:56 PM   #114
Ben IV

Re: 70 gmc DIY build

Got the front end assembled but ran into a problem. 63-72 upper arms use a concave washer that matches a convex area around the uca studs to allow for alignment. 73-87 uca's use a half moon washer flat side goes against the crossmember curved side matches the control arm shaft. So you can't use the 73+ washers on the earlier crossmember. So I decided to try running both washers to make things work but upon setting the truck down I could tell I already had positive camber with no alignment shims. At the suggestion of SCOTI in another thread I smoothed off the raised areas on the control arm shafts to work with the earlier washers. You could probably just rotate the shafts to put the flat side against the washers but I'm using the Moog "camber correction" shafts so that wasn't an option. But I got everything back together including an ECE sway bar I had laying around. So at least one of my aftermarket suspension parts is made in America. And here's a tip always turn your cotter pin holes back to front. If you don't you might not be able to get them out once your brake hoses is in the way. Ask me how I know...
Attached Images