View Single Post
Old 08-25-2017, 08:22 AM   #129
Low Elco

Re: My LQ4/T56 build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckLee View Post
Thank you very much for the time you spent teaching a novice. All of what you said helped and made sense to me. My one major question at this point is what to do with the inner rocker panel height because without the outer rocker on, the inner rocker touches the door bottom. I see what you mean by already having hard tacked in the cab corner. I already have to replace the door bottoms on both sides of the truck because they are roached. Should i just tack my outer rocker in place as low as i can using the tulip method as described knowing that it won't allow me to close the door and then fix that problem when i cut the doors up? I could just shorten the inside of the door "cup" area at the bottom to make up for the problem with the "too high inner rocker". The other option is to somehow lower the inner rocker a half inch before even messing with the outer rocker fitment. Basically, there's no way to make the rocker fit with any method until i address the height of the inner rocker since that's what the outer rocker sits on. The only way around this problem i see is shortening the inside of the door cup

What you think?
The inner should be lining up with the kick in the front and the little curve down flange in the back. The door should be outboard of all this. If you still have a side together, measure how far it is from the skin to the cab structure at the front. Hang a fender, if you have to. My bet is you're too far in on your door at the bottom. No biggie you can move it out at the bottom hinge. Basically, the vertical planes should not be crossing between the door and the inner. Your flange for holding the weatherstrip in on the outer rocker, that should tell you how far out your door needs to be. its easy to jumble the placements of all this, so relax. you're gonna fit up a lot. tacks, sheetmetal screws and Clecos are your friends. Do yourself a huge favor and read the crusty rusty leaky squeaky thread and look at the metalwork there.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote