View Single Post
Old 06-02-2018, 10:14 PM   #143
ChuckLee

Re: My LQ4/T56 build thread

Dropped the block off and all my engine parts to a local builder I found out about. He's bore-matching the pistons and balancing the rotating assembly among other things. I am setting my hopes low so that when I get it dyno tuned I am happily surprised. I say it will make 415rwhp. I gave him enough parts to make 3 engines. He laughed.

Been working on the cab and doors for quite awhile. I don't have time to get too detailed so let me just show some pictures to show some progress.

And the doors. Funny how much you learn on the first door that you don't do on the second. All good, just learning as I go. First timer as you can see. Also, major error on my part was fitting the outer rocker panels on before I did the doors....so that required me to be very careful in my door measurements.

spot welds here and there

time to clean and paint while things are accessible

little filler to make sure things are straight"ish"

same with other areas on cab

And firewall coming together. FYI, I have been using fiberglass filler first on any weld areas where water could possibly come into contact with metal as I don't want body filler expanding then cracking paint. After that, I don't mind using the body filler.

And about 50 rounds of this. ugh. Hope this will turn out half decent.

other door. fitting multiple times before welding up. Also welded up all holes on doors from mirrors and trim panels.

This guy found a buffet of bugs on one of my bug traps......he didn't make it apparently. Sorry little guy. Back to work...

tons of grinding. also welded on my seat bracket backing plates. Glad I did this. I also used fiberglass filler all way around each backing plate to prevent rust.

and lots more sanding and grinding.

did a lot of sanding and scuffing to prep for epoxy primer later on. Main job though was prepping firewall and undercarriage for rust encapsulator. I had a hard time deciding between using epoxy primer or rust encapsulator because I pretty much got rid of 99% of the rust.

And a couple coats of rust encapsulator.