View Single Post
Old 09-30-2022, 04:27 PM   #1
Arne

Sorry, but I have bed wood install questions - '64 short step

I guess my search terms aren't good, I've failed so far finding what I need. Please don't flame me!

One of the recurring issues when you pick up a project that someone else has started is that you don't know for sure what parts you got with the project, and since you didn't take it apart yourself, you don't actually know how it goes back together either.

So the '64 step side project truck I picked up a few weeks ago was already painted, and came with new wood and stainless strips for the brand new bed. (All of the bed metal appears to be new repro except the left fender.) I've been struggling with figuring out how it all goes together, as none of the holes seem to line up. So I have 2 questions:

1.) The truck came with new stainless strips, including the 2 angle strips for the edges. But the angle strips were not installed (welded) to the bed sides before the bed was painted. Any ideas on how I should attach the angle strips to the bed sides?

2.) It looks to me as if the (apparently) pre-drilled wood kit is all wrong. The counter-sunk hole spacing does not match the frame mounting points, and the width of the planks do not match the hole spacing in the ends of the bed or the original (semi-rusty) cross sills. According to GMC Paul's site, the widths should be:

Code:
3 1/8" - 7 7/16" - 7 7/16" - 5 7/16" - 5 7/16" - 7 7/16" - 7 7/16" - 3 1/8"
These widths match the holes in the bed front and rear sill, as well as the holes on the existing cross sills. But the wood I got is quite different. They are:

Code:
4 7/16" - 6 7/8" - 6 7/8" - 4 7/8" - 4 7/8" - 6 7/8" - 6 7/8" - 4 7/16"
While these board widths appear to fill the bed width-wise, the only holes that match up are the holes between the 2 center boards. In addition, the countersunk holes for the bed-to-frame bolts mostly wrong too. Only the two nearest the front of the bed appear to match the frame mounting points.

I have no idea where this wood kit came from, or what it might really be designed to fit. But at this point it looks to me that I probably need to buy a new kit that is correct for a '64 short step. Any recommendations on who offers a properly fitting and affordable kit? Should I plan to buy it undrilled just in case?

覧覧覧覧覧覧

Last edited by Arne; 09-30-2022 at 11:31 PM.
Arne is offline   Reply With Quote