Thread: Carburetor
View Single Post
Old 06-08-2022, 05:27 PM   #9
chevmn

Re: Carburetor

Back in the early 80s my wife drove a 73 Chevelle, with a 400 small block. With a 450 cfm Holley spreadbore q-jet replacement, headers, 3:31 gear, TH350, the heavy car got right at 24 MPG avg, and had decent low end power. Doubt they even make that carb, or could find one today, but I was impressed with the combination. I am with others, and if a q-jet is right, it is hard to beat overall. First thing I do is check that primary throttle shaft is tight in the base, put a brass float (stock floats soak up fuel and sink), and the main well plugs are not leaking fuel, as they are famous for that. But, these trucks are not aerodynamic, and fairly heavy so don't expect too much, but the 350's are far from on the way out. Too many still out there, and they survived the supposed fuel shortages, and $4 a gallon prices from late 2000's. 350's with q-jet was probably the most popular combos to date. I have a box full of q-jets others have tossed, and once in a while find the need for a part. Most simply do not know how to repair or tune them.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote