Thread: Carburetor
View Single Post
Old 06-09-2022, 10:18 PM   #16
chevmn

Re: Carburetor

Quote:
Originally Posted by body bolt View Post
I think your talking about the Holley 4360 Economaster. I have one on my truck after removing the leaky stock Quadrajet for repair. It does get better gas mileage and pulls way better at the low end. You can still find them. Look for list 7454, 7455, 7456. Those are all divorced choke.
That jogged my memory, I could not recall details, and it went with the car when I sold it. Somewhere I have the Super Chevy magazine with the articles on the Doug Marion 70 Monte Carlo econoperformer project that he had. That was the inspiration for what I did on the Chevelle. An overdrive would likely have put the Chevelle into upper 20's MPG range, yet good low end power. I wondered how it would have done with 2:73 gearing, but I know it would have lost a ton on bottom end. In those days I was raising a family, and limited funds for toys, but ironically the whole time I had kids I never owned a 4 door vehicle. 2 door Chevelles and Chevrolet pickups (and they were not extended cab or 4 door trucks). Fast forward to my 2011 Silverado 4x4, and it is so bloated it can only average 19 with a 6 speed, and 5.3. You can tell I am not impressed (yeah, I disabled the worthless AFM -- that made zero difference in fuel mileage, and I actually believe it does slightly better with it disabled).

Last edited by chevmn; 06-10-2022 at 02:13 PM.
chevmn is offline   Reply With Quote