Thread: 47-59 automatic in a 58 apache
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #15
mr48chev

Re: automatic in a 58 apache

Better to ask and then decide it is too much work than not ask and find out that it is a lot more work than you thought.

Back in the mid 70's a lot of guys with TF trucks were buying 350's and Turbo 350's out of the wrecking yard and sticking them in the trucks using the stock front mounts, cutting out the middle crossmember with a torch and making a rear crossmember for the trans out of what ever they had be it channel iron tubing or ?? Some times pretty sketchy crossmembers as there was little or no aftermarket stuff available then. Leaky front seals in the trans were pretty common and broken bellhousings happened enough so that you heard about them without any internet. A friend showed me one in his transmission shop when I stopped by to visit.

Those were pretty quick and nasty swaps, I was around one where they drove the truck to a friend's shop in the morning with the engine and trans in the back and backed it out of the shop and drove it home about 9 pm that night and didn't really get in a big hurry doing it. I think their biggest hassle was figuring out how to mount the automatic floor shifter that came out of the donor rig so they could reach it from the seat.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote