View Single Post
Old 12-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #6
diesel burner

Re: My 71 K20 Cummins swap

Dieselwrencher, I'm ok with how it worked out, with a little horse trading I was only out $380 to have the P7100 rebuilt

So in 2019 I found a core support at a swap meet that was in decent condition and I started modifying it for the dodge radiator and aftercooler. My goal was to repurpose as much of the dodge as i could to keep expenses down. I had studied Ryanroo's build extensively and even though his pictures were blurred out by photobucket I copied his idea as best I could on the core support. I was able to get the 2nd gen aftercooler in without modifying it.
During this time frame I also ordered the frame boxing and motor mount kit from Rob Bonney Fabrication. I wanted to have as much stuff as possible ready to make the swap go smoothly when I finally do it. This pickup is my daily driver and I didn't want it out of commission any longer than necessary, although I do have other vehicles to fall back on.
I also ordered a 4" Diamond Eye exhaust kit for a 1st gen dodge, I figured it would be the closest thing to fitting.
While the motor was out, I pulled the head off and did a valve job replacing the umbrella seals. Pulled the pan and checked bearings, pulled the cam to check for damage, pulled the gear housing off and put new gaskets in everywhere. Then I painted the motor Chevy Orange..... I didn't take any pictures of it out of the pickup. I painted the exhaust manifold and hot side of turbo with high heat black(surprisingly after almost a year of driving it still looks like new)
06 GMC sierra 2500 extended cab duramax,allison
05 Toyota Corolla (commuter)
18 Chevy Tahoe RST (wifes car)
08 HD Roadglide
diesel burner is offline   Reply With Quote