Thread: 55.2-59 Hinge rebuild or replace?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2022, 08:58 PM   #5
dsraven

Re: Hinge rebuild or replace?

clean it well, down to bare steel on both sides of the metal, degrease the hole if needed
weld the hole closed, dont be tempted to quench the weld just let it cool at room temp. then grind it off nice and smooth. then mark your pin hole and drill it with a small bit. recheck if the hole is where it needs to be and if all good, drill the hole to the size needed. if not good weld the hole closed and start over till it's right.
also check the fit of the new pin and bushing, some I have installed were pretty loose and by the time the looseness is expanded out to the end of the door, it seems the door hinge repair didn't really fix anything.
I have an old set of hinges just like that. I took'em apart, blasted them, welded the bad spots, drilled them, installed new bushings and assembled. they were actually loose. the bushings were real sloppy on the pins. these came as a set. they would make good gate hinges maybe. lol. I bought a new aftermrket set. quite a bit tighter than my rebuilt ones. I guess I could have grabbed some bushings that were correct OD but too small ID, installed them and then reamed them to fit the new pins.
nahhh, it's done now and I still have the old set to mess with if I run outta stuff to do.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote