View Single Post
Old 03-11-2019, 06:29 PM   #7
ray_mcavoy

Re: Fuel gauge question #355

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl71 View Post
I think I can also rule out #3 as the other gauges work as do the dash lights, unless you are meaning the ground connection on the gauge itself, which you might. I’m fairly certain the dash is grounded.
Yes, I was referring to the ground connection for the gauge itself. I just took a look at one to refresh my memory, and as I had thought, the gauge has a small metal contact on the back (right between the 2 studs) that simply touches against the metal cluster housing to connect the gauge to ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdl71 View Post
I also have swapped clusters with one I had of unknown condition and tried to get the gauge I took out to work on the bench, but am going to try again using your instructions in regards to the ground on the gauge itself. Another post I read said that the gauge itself is almost never the issue but I am almost certain I have ruled everything else out. Thank you for the suggestions.
You're welcome! Yes, it is quite rare (but not completely unheard of) for the gauge itself to be bad.

You can also check the continuity of the gauge's internal coils with an ohmmeter. With the gauge unplugged, measure between it's power terminal and it's ground contact. Also measure between the gauge's sending unit terminal and ground contact. If either one of them measures open circuit, the gauge is bad.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote