View Single Post
Old 07-05-2020, 04:40 AM   #2
ShortHaul

Re: "Bourbon" 1975 Suburban Scottsdale

So as with all my trucks, this one came by way of an adventure. I’ll tell the story here.
I first spotted this beautiful Burb on Instagram, way back in December of 2019. I followed the links back to its owner beermoney_trucks, where I noticed someone had inquired about whether it was for sale. Reading the owner’s response of “Not listed but could be had for the right price” I knew I had to give it a shot. I sent the owner a message… After about 3 months of radio silence we finally got around to talking business… After some back and forth, begging for pics and info, we finally agreed on a price. After the ‘Rona kindly screwed my plans up for a few months I knew it was now or never… So on June 22nd I boarded a one way flight to Seattle.
Here’s the post that started it all…
Untitled by awesome_adawson, on Flickr

I flew up and met beermoney_trucks in a Walmart parking lot… and laid eyes on this big beauty for the first time.
She was everything I’d hoped for and more… a little rough around the edges in a few spots, but overall a solid truck. I popped into a local Oriellys for a few spare fluids, filled her up (all 31 gallons!) and hit the road.

I headed east out of Seattle on I90 with Hood River, OR in my sights.

I stopped in Ellensburg, Wa for a bite, a beer and a top off… Highly recommend The Pearl bar and grill, excellent burger!
From there I put the hammer down and rolled into Hood River around 1 AM. I opted for the Tucker Park campground. Located about 10 min outside of town and right on the Hood River it was the perfect place to lay my head after a LOOOOONG day! I swear, crawling into my sleeping bag with the sound of the Hood River rushing by, and the stars shining bright through those big old back windows of the Burb, that moment alone was worth the price of admission 
My luxury suite…

I awoke the next morning and headed off to town for a cup of coffee. Along the way I happened upon a pretty awesome Aircraft and automotive museum just outside of town. If you’re near the Hood River area be sure to check it out. Over 150 vintage aircraft and nearly 200 vintage vehicles, not to mention tons of other cool old stuff..
I could’ve taken pics of everything in the place… but just take my word for it… its Awesome!

What a cool spot. So glad I spotted it and had time to pop in for a visit.
Also spotted a few candidates in town for the future vintage camper project…

After an awesome Mountain Bike ride through the Post Canyon trails, and a killer lunch at Kickstand café in Hood River, I was on my way south toward Bend.
One thing I realized during my journey is that Squarebodies are literally growing on trees up in that area… I started seeing them everywhere! I may have to start a thread for all the Squares I spotted… and I eventually had to quit stopping to take pictures, I wasn’t getting anywhere fast!

This beauty was for sale!
How about that hood ornament!
This guy had a STASH of k20’s
I was on my way, bug guts and all!

Plenty of Squares spotted en route to Bend…

I spent a night in Bend, had a great dinner at the 10Barrel Brewery there.
The next day I woke up and after a great breakfast from Sparrow Bakery, I hit the bike trails again, just West of Bend for some fun riding!
Burb makes a great bike shuttle rig!

Fueled up on killer tacos from El Sancho Taqueria in Bend,
Even scored a worthy sticker!

And after a quick stop for some go juice at Dutch Bro’s I was headed south to Ashland…

The trip down to Ashland took me through some of my favorite roads in Oregon. Hwy 230 to 62 from Diamond Lake down to Medford is awesome. You pass right through some breathtaking mountain views and then end up along the tree lined Rogue River, deep in the Umpqua National Forest. Crater Lake is a quick detour which I chose not to take this time around, but is well worth it if you’re in the area… Every pull off the road features a snow capped peak or a rushing waterfall… Not to mention the Squarebodies were still very abundant in this region…
by awesome_adawson, on Flickr

And this is only about a third of the Squares I spotted along the way! I finally rolled into Ashland in time for dinner. I stayed the night and once again did some epic mountain biking on Mt Ashland (if you’re reading along here, yes there was a theme to this trip)
After a great day of riding I headed south towards home. The longest stretch of road ahead of me I knew I had to make up some time. It was 96* in Ashland as I hit the road… I pushed on over the grade and down into California with no issues, cruising past Mt Shasta and down through Dunsmuir. At that point I pulled off for one last swim in the river to cool off before the long hot drive on I5.
After cooling off for a bit in the river I made the push down past Lake Shasta and into Redding. Up until now the Burb had been driving perfectly, no issues whatsoever. Temps staying cool, pulling long grades with no complaint… she’d been a trooper. When we hit Redding and the outside temp was 107* at about 7PM I knew I was asking for trouble. Sure enough I started hearing a strange wobble from the engine bay and I looked down at the temp gauge just in time to see it shooting through the red… I quickly aimed for a wide spot on the shoulder just as she overheated… steam and coolant everywhere
I popped the hood and checked the fan. Belts were all good, radiator not leaking, then grabbed the fan and it was wobbling like crazy, free spinning on the water pump snout. No question, the water pump was shot.
This is about the time my trip made a huge turn in the Roadkill direction!
I sent out a message to a few of my good buds, and was able to track down a 454 Water Pump at an Oreillys near home. My good friend Ben hopped in the car and grabbed the water pump, meanwhile I phoned AAA to have them tow me 100 miles closer to home. (I have 100 miles free with AAA) after a two hour wait on the side of I5 I was scooped up on a flatbed and headed south to a Walmart in Willows, CA. Oddly enough, the tow driver said that because of Corona Virus, I wasn’t allowed to ride in the cab of the flat bed, but I could stay in the Burb for the 100 mile ride! I of course accepted, and was treated to a first ever experience of riding in my truck on top of flatbed! what a trip that was!
The Tow dropped me off and I got to work loosening the alternator, AC and PS pump belts. Just about the time I pulled the old water pump off, my unbelievably awesome friend Ben showed up with the fresh one and a few jugs of coolant. We swapped it in while fighting off tweekers and suffering in the 95* degree heat. By 1:30 AM we were back on the road headed for home.
Ben hard at work

1:30 AM. 92* Walmart parking lot off I5… water pump swapped… 454 running cool again…2 happy dudes!

I finally rolled into the driveway at almost 5AM… Tired, sore, sweaty, greasy, but so happy to be home!

The next day we did what Suburban’s do best… I took the fam out for Ice Cream. The wife loves it, the kids LOVE it, and what can I say… I love it.
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...49#post8769049
”Otis” 1970 C10 SWB -SOLD
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=762766
”Chebby” 1962 Impala LS/TKO-500
http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/1...2-Impala-Build

Last edited by ShortHaul; 07-10-2020 at 06:47 PM.
ShortHaul is offline   Reply With Quote