View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 07:09 PM   #5
chris989

Re: fan clutch always engaged

Quote:
Originally Posted by azdeltawye View Post
You can recalibrate the cut-in temp of the fan clutch by tweaking the bi-metal spring in the front of the clutch assembly: Lift the outermost end of the spring from the two nubs on the clutch housing and rotate the spring and shaft to the fully engaged position (CCW for Hayden). Mark the position of the end of the spring on the housing for a reference. Continue turning the spring in the same direction until it yields slightly. Be careful not to go too far with this step! Let the spring relax and compare with your original mark. Repeat this until you get about ¼” away from the mark. This is much easier to do with the clutch removed from the vehicle BTW…

Install and take it for a test drive. Repeat as necessary.

Some fan clutches have adjustable spring mounts. I think Borg Warner might be one of them.

Good luck.
Thanks for the info,

I forgot about this post, but here is my update. I switched back to the 195 stat. with a obd scan tool hooked up i now know 210 on my gauge is really ~196. With the 195 stat in place i think more heat is retained in the engine and out the exhaust and not put into the radiator and the clutch engages less often. Now that the weather has broke and we are under 100 it does make a huge difference in the engagement. I might try the spring tweek and lessen it some. I guess in the end I made it worse installing the 180 stat. Now that i know my gauge is off by 15 degrees i feel much better about the true temp.

Chris
chris989 is offline   Reply With Quote