View Single Post
Old 04-07-2021, 10:56 PM   #16
Ryanz

Re: Removing roof skin?

Quote:
Originally Posted by B. W. View Post
Cut the rear at an angle as close the the seam as you feel comfortable. You don't have to get super close, sometimes the excess is an advantage when drilling the spot welds. It gives you something to grip when prying.

1st pic is with the roof cut off
2nd pic is removing the remainder.
3rd is with everthing removed

I used a spot drill, on some that I didn't drill centered I would finish off with a die grinder & twist/pry/pull. There's about 50-60 spot welds. By the time you're done you'll be good at it!

Both sides to the front corners are triple thick (counting the roof skin). The front above the windshield is only doubled but the drip edge is very thick. the rear is only double & standard thickness but if you drill through both you can't see the holes when the new skin is bonded.

Side note: my roof panel was date stamped, so was the the insulation (that looks alot like roofing felt)

Sorry, I know this is an old thread. I am at the same process as you were with replacing outer roof skin. Can you tell me what you did to attach the back seam? Did you weld and then just get rid of the stock seam look?
Ryanz is offline   Reply With Quote