View Single Post
Old 10-14-2011, 10:00 AM   #103
ScottyB

Re: What Did You Do With Your Truck Today ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
PureC4, I did a little research on the TCI website and it says their rear spring kit gives 4" of drop. That means with his 4" blocks he's got a static drop of 8"!! I'm wondering how close the top of his differential comes to hitting his bed floor? Looks like his floor is raised the thickness of a 2x4 (1-1/2") or more, so maybe its not an issue for him. BUT, how is his front dropped by at least 8" or more?

Inquiring minds (nosy-a$$ guys on this website) want to know!
You are right on, I laid 2x4s on their sides across the bed side flanges then put 3/4" plywood on top of that. The 2x4s provided just enough lift to clear the '51 frame humps when using the '54 bed sides (they are taller so the bed floor is actually lower in a '54). I will see if I can take a picture of the clearance at ride height.

As for the front... Not real proud there but its all I could do for now. It has a drop straight axle with only 3 of the original leafs still in place. As you can imagine there is not a lot of suspension travel but our roads are pretty good here in Alabama. I have a stabilizer shock mounted to the tie rod so it tracks the road well when its smooth. Plan is to install a C4 front suspension on the stock frame this winter.