View Single Post
Old 05-15-2022, 11:17 PM   #155
rodstored-72
chevy truck fan

Re: Rodstored-72's 1986 DD build

One of the tasks that I did on my previous build was to make my own license plate bracket. My previous one and this one were made to look kinda stock & to bolt in the stock location on the bumper. I know that the brackets can be bought & they are not that expensive, but I like to make things & they are not too complicated, so for a little custom touch I just make them myself. I first measured the bumper opening & the bolt locations. I then make a cardboard template, bend where needed & do a test fit. Once I have the shape desired & get an idea of the aesthetics then I trace the pattern onto a piece of metal/alum. My first one (for my ’72 build) was made from aluminum – because a welder was not available. It turned out good and worked just fine. This one I decided to make out of steel – because I now own a welder… and I am one heck of a grinder!...LOL!! So I traced the pattern out, cut/bent where needed as well as drilled the bolt holes. I test fitted it again for final layout. Happy with the final look I then proceeded to weld up the corners. I recheck the fit… I was good to go. Happy with the fit and look I decided to paint it. I liked the look of the paint I used on the tanks (see earlier tank posts) so I decided to use it again. I am happy with the final product. I used metal that I already had so the cost was just time. I probably could have bought it and made life easier, but I enjoyed the process and I have a little more satisfaction in the project.
Attached Images

rodstored-72 is offline   Reply With Quote