View Single Post
Old 07-22-2019, 08:25 AM   #22
special-K
Special Order

Re: Longhorn trucks - what were the options

Quote:
Originally Posted by davepl View Post
My '70 Longhorn has the D60 and leaf springs with the Custom Camper option (1T frame). I welded up my bed seams to hide 'em though.
Is yours a C2500 or C3500?
Quote:
Originally Posted by C10_crazy View Post
I'm sorry that it's taken me so long to get back on here and read all the posts... I really appreciate all of your responses to this thread. I bought this '67 1 ton not really knowing anything about the extent of what the General offered in 1 ton trucks.

I had a 1 ton single rear wheel stepside truck once (it was a City of Phoenix work truck) and everytime I mentioned to a friend of mine that it was a 133 in wheelbase truck, he said it was a Longhorn. Well, I didn't think he was right, but truthfully, he knows a lot more about cars and trucks than I probably ever will. Anyway, when I bought this truck I became more curious about the Longhorns (which I originally thought were all 1 tons) and the dually 1 tons.

Thanks again for all the truck information.
Here's the deal. That '67 was a C30 "pickup", or "Stepside Pickup". A GMC would be a C3500 Fenderside. Up through '67, that was the only 1t pickup available.

This was the short 1t chassis at 133", just 6" longer than the 127" long beds. The cab & chassis wheelbase you saw tow trucks, 8' dump bodies, 10' stake beads, and 9" utility bodies on. The long 1t chassis was 157".

In '68 GM started offering wide bed pickups on the short 1t single rear chassis in 3/4t or 1t. The long bedside got an extension and wood floor with extension pieces, but their own 1pc steel strips. Chevy named theirs the "Longhorn"

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote