View Single Post
Old 03-07-2021, 10:39 PM   #173
Canuckvetter
How did I get this OLD!

Re: The build date project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
All of the plants used build sheets. The RPO information alone was not enough information for the operator to select the correct part, especially when there was a proliferation of part numbers within the RPO.

Any area where components were built up remotely and then conveyed to the main line in sequence would require a build sheet: front and rear axle trim, engines, transmissions, seats, front end sheetmetal, tire/wheel assemblies, etc. These are all areas with a lot of proliferation, and therefore not easy to present the material lineside, or - in the case of the seat cushions - a fire hazard (the "cushion room" was always way out in the boonies as a result). The build sheet defined the component that was to be installed, by part number or broadcast code, especially for option driven content where there was some choice as to what part was to be installed, or a remote area where there were no visual clues as to what part should be installed. So - theoretically - you would be able to find a build sheet on the motor somewhere, or above the fuel tank, or anywhere a build sheet was used.

There was no thought, guess work, interpretation or latitude on the part of the assembler: they referred to the sheet, selected the component by part number or broadcast code, and put it on.

K
I understand your point Keith. Just I have never seen an Oshawa build/broadcast sheet. I will dig into it more and get back to ya.
Michael
1967 Oshawa built LWB Fleetside. 327,3 OTT, 515 Vermilion, CST, PS, PB, Shoulder Harness, Tach,Vac, Speed Warning, Choke Delete, Manual Throttle, Fawn interior. Dealer installed A/C 04/2015, N34 Rosewood Wheel 06/2023
Members who I have met personally. Metaldoc, chevnkevin, 62 Longbed, 72LHorn, 72MARIO, YBNORML, TBONE1964, Classic Bowties, Chevemall, Dagnabbitt.
Canuckvetter is offline   Reply With Quote