View Single Post
Old 03-08-2016, 05:08 PM   #13
spacedebris

Re: 1965 GMC 1500 Cummins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickk1 View Post
Or you could drop the cab and bed on a dodge frame. I've seen someone use a 1st gen ram frame and I had planned to use a 3rd gen ram 2500 frame/suspension. The 3rd gen ram frame is almost perfect dimension wise for the cab. You just need to remove the old mounts and fabricate new ones right on top of the frame rails. The 63-66 cab mount locations are within 1/4 of center of the frame rails. The bed floor would need to be raised due to the frame kickup, or you could reverse zee the frame in the back. The 3rd gen ram frame is beefy too.

This will not work. Not for the issue at hand anyway. The problem is not the frame. If you want another frame thats fine, but it will not solve the space issue. The problem is the physical room under the hood. The distance from firewall to radiator support is not sufficient to mount a 12v. Now if you do not clearance the firewall, then you would have to push the radiator support forward, which would move the fenders forward, which means stretching the fenders.

Oh you could move the radiator and inter-cooler forward slightly but not enough to make much difference. the 12v is just about 1 foot too long for the engine compartment (radiator in stock location). With a bit of work you likely could move the radiator forward a few inches but not a foot. Dont forget that you also have to figure in clearance for the steering as well and that sort of limits how far forward you can push the engine.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote