View Single Post
Old 03-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #16
spacedebris

Re: 1965 GMC 1500 Cummins?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigben89 View Post
SD,
What's your opinion on the 3.0L v6 Eco Diesel Sold by Ram and the new 5.0L v8 Cummins that will be available in the new 2016 Titan. Soon these will start to become available as these trucks get older and start making their way into the salvage yards. With the eco diesel's compact size could this be the "next generations" 4bt? Only ass pain will be the electronics of course and tuning

" The EcoDiesel is running a FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles) engine control unit. If it is anything like the FCA unit in the Ram, tuning could prove to be very challenging. On the other hand, the 5.0-Liter Cummins will be running a Cummins engine control unit. Tuning companies have quite a bit of experience with “cracking” these and tuning will probably be out within a fairly short period of time."
I like the idea, but the reason I chose the 12v myself is to get away from all the electronic junk. No computer, no smog, only a simple controller for the transmission. I like the idea the it will run and keep running no matter what. Also the new smog laws regarding new diesels is a bit ridiculous, especially here in CA so I want to avoid all that. And I think this is the whole reason to choose the 6bt and 4bt and why they are so popular. If the electronics didnt matter then the 24v would be another choice. Size wise it is nearly identical to the 12v, and much easier to mod with tuners but you have to deal with all the electronics.

However, the newer diesels have much going for them. Easier to mod with tuners/programmers. And with those you can change your power levels on the fly. It wont take long for companies like Banks to crack the eco. By the time they become easily available in the junk yards they'll have it whipped. They'll likely fit a bit easier but not having seen one yet, there may be other issues. Most of the newer diesels tend to be a bit taller and wider. Not likely to be an issue but still a possibility. Plus if the electronics are not an issue, you'll have more choices like the duramax. My brothers 2009 GMC Duramax is an awesome engine. Bigger than the cummins but workable.

But like I said, I'm in it because I like to be different so I wanted a diesel in my panel. And I chose the 12v for the power, ease of building power, and the shear ruggedness, and lack of electronics. Its one of those engines that will keep going like the energizer bunny after the nuclear apocalypse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickk1 View Post
At no point did I state that no firewall modifications would be necessary. Others had stated that they would be needed so I did not feel the need to repeat that. I was addressing the OPs original question concerning swapping his cab to a cummins frame. It has been done in a gen1 ram frame and would work in a 3rd gen ram frame (I have had the cab on the frame).
Sorry, my bad. Reading the posts in order I read it as an answer to fitting it into the engine bay. Didn't mean any offense. I sometimes get a bit fixed on the flow of a conversation rather than considering replies to earlier statements.
1960 c30 Apache Panel w/ '95 cummins bt6 turbo diesel (work in progress) NOTE: due to photobucket trying to extort money my photos are temporarily unavailable. currently looking for alternative to fix issue.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=523009

Last edited by spacedebris; 03-09-2016 at 12:26 PM.
spacedebris is offline   Reply With Quote