View Single Post
Old 02-15-2023, 10:46 PM   #7
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Re: 87 c-10 r-10 pulse wiper options

My 1987 wiper switch doesn't have detents between delay speeds, I don't recall the stock 1987 switch having lines either. Just googled pictures and would say my memory is correct, it just shows a line going in the direction of travel with Delay ON printed on it...

observations:

Ordered the c1500 style switch. 88+ Installed the lever and fits as expected. It has the 5 detents as I wanted but while it looks identical, it would require a different mounting pin.

I'm not sure if the box I got, the pin that holds the wiper switch to column fell out or not, but one hole is bigger than the other, by a lot and for that, it would not be a bolt in swap. But, if the factory 88+ pin just has a bigger head then I think it would be a direct swap. Doing some research on it shortly..

I replaced my factory c-10 wiper switch with the same brand and it came with a new pin...

After getting further in the program, I decided to try the old switch... sum b..... it will work just fine, just no detent click feel.. which I feel is necessary lol (why I bought the newer style). So for this program I just used 2 delay speeds. About midway through the Delay sweep, it detects change in value and changes delay speeds. I could add a 3rd delay speed in the middle, be an easy edit, but nor sure if its ideal with the stock switch... feel wise....

All Modes accounted for!!

Still need to cross some things off the list:

Test fit the plastic mock up bracket on the truck. I visually lined it up, and I think its dang close to being visually appealing (angles), but I might want to rotate it few more degrees to make look better if necessary. For that I need to remove the wiper motor again and actually mount it and verify.

Then make a bracket out of metal

Fabricate the wiper motor to wiper linkage arm.

Function test on the truck, which I expect it to work 100%, just a matter of adjusting the wiper motor linkage arm to get Park to be correct placement of the wipers on the windshield

Important goal that sets this apart from the other options will be to use most of the factory wiring and a new engine bay harness. NOT drilling a hole in the firewall, just depin the old 5 wires, and insert a new harness In the bulkhead connector. (Havn't got that far in the planning, but easy)

clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote