View Single Post
Old 02-26-2023, 09:42 PM   #10
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

Re: 87 c-10 r-10 pulse wiper options

I made a little more progress, drop in the bucket lol... I checked the pick n pull for available possible candidates for this wiper switch mounting pin, drove about an hour to the preferred pick-n-pull and might have found probably the last tilt steering oobs there was and for good reason. The column was tore up.. and looked like a caveman tried to pull the steering wheel but couldn't. However, it had the 1 thing I was looking for the pivot pin for the wiper switch which was different than the 1987 pin which measures about .213" in diameter .... the switch I bought for OOBS non single key system (cheaper than single key system) had one bore for the pin quite a bit larger than the other.

after a victorious battle against the steering wheel, I peeled off the wiper switch. I was left beside myself when the pin was strait, no "head" on it as I expected it to have! Called the local parts store, ordered the other switch, tilt w/single key system, and decided to bring the pin from the junkyard as a souvenir...

No idea how they come up with the up $$ charge for a smaller hole in the aluminum bracket..the switch is exactly identical to the cheaper non single key system switch but with a smaller hole... go figure. Both the OOBS single key system and the c-10 have the same wiper pivot pin! This would now be a direct wiper switch replacement + this module. **The point of this switch is for the 5 delay detents it has within it, to feel the different delay speeds like a modern car. The factory 1987 style wiper switch is not designed with detents. I have a program that works with no detents, but I only choose to put 2 delay speeds on it.... that was the first video in the post

Next step for this project is going down the path of circuit boards... think I am going to design it, or rather get it designed with the right value of components, to be a shield (circuit board that attaches to the other board) for the board I am using. This is probably going to take some time to find the right person, design the board, make the board, get the components on the board and test it.

Ive put quite a bit of thought into how it will interface with factory wiring, and rather not drill a hole and run some new wiring as it just seems unnecessary!

The pulse relay board can be set up to use the factory wiper motors. Instead of using the modern smaller motor that needs to get 12v for high / low.. you give it ground for high and low. Only 1 wire needs to be changed.

The change in truck wiring, I'm thinking the best ideal way (from the professional experience in wire repair)

de-pin the factory connector, nip off the end of the factory terminal between insulation crimp and the conductor which will only loose about 1/8" of wiring at most. Strip and crimp on new terminal for this module connection. Module wires will connect to the OE connector so it plugs right in to factory retaining the warranty on the switch. Also will allow for remote mounting of this module. With this method, a new factory terminal can be installed and brought back to fact glory if desired with no boo boo splices

clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote