View Single Post
Old 02-23-2021, 07:17 PM   #1
Railroadman

RANT - aftermarket parts that are not the same

It's beyond frustrating when you order parts and what you get is not what you need. I've been stalled without progress for weeks while parts come and go back. Here's the latest issue (we're talking a '66 3/4 ton):

Upper control arm shaft, I decided to replace the end nuts or bushings, depending on what you name them. Looked several places and finally ordered the entire assembly - shaft, 2 end nuts, 2 rubber seals or grommets, and 2 Zerks. Now the catalog shows 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton are different and I DID order for 3/4 ton.

I believe what they sent will work but they are NOT exact replacements. Yes, made in China but the real issue is that whoever specced them didn't follow original, or if China modified them somebody should have sent them back. Probably not a high-volume part, but if you're going to have something made, why the hell not make it RIGHT???

Pic #1, top view. No arrows needed, it's obvious they are different. the holes seem OK, it's only the camera angle that makes them look "off".

Name:  Upper control arm shaft comparison - 1.jpg
Views: 414
Size:  95.7 KB

Pic #2, side view. The dish for the spacer is noticeably more shallow on the new one (yellow arrows). And the overall thickness is less (red arrows).

Name:  Upper control arm shaft comparison - 2 - Copy.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  37.3 KB

Pic #3 shows the threaded ends are smaller ( by roughly .2") on the new one.

Name:  Upper control arm shaft comparison - 3.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  49.2 KB

The problem with the original bushings is wear spots on the threads. I can probably dress them up with a triangle file, use new rubber grommets, and keep everything original although I'm not crazy about the wear.

Name:  Upper control arm shaft comparison - 4.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  61.4 KB

The box shows part numbers for M00G, McQN, TRW and Spicer. So I'm guessing it's pretty much the only game in town no matter which final vendor you order from.

It's not only trucks, this issue has come up with other restorations. Not everybody is going for judging and perfection, mine will just be for driving and cruising. But as long as a manufacturer is going to have a replacement part made, I think most of us would be glad to pay a couple dollars more to have something identical to what GM made to start with!

Railroadman is offline   Reply With Quote