View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 05:14 PM   #62
'68OrangeSunshine

Re: Anyone running CB's in their truck these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rods View Post
I purchased this CB on the board a couple years ago from 70cst and I now have the truck I want to put it in. Not sure what all is involved or what is needed to get it up and going so been following this thread trying to figuring out all the different items needed......any advise would be great. To start with I will need a mounting bracket any available for this unit. Can someone advise proper power supply ? Should it come from fuse box ? Key switch ? Types of available antennas ? The truck I want to put the CB in apparently had one at one point as the ash tray has the microphone clip attached to it. (see pic) Thanks for any help.
Nothing complicated. The red lead [+] goes to a 12 VDC source and should have a fuse inline with it. The black lead goes to any good contact on the cab.
Or, if you want it to move between trucks, you could power it with a cigarette lighter plug.
If you connect to the fuse box, it's your decision whether you want the radio to be turned on even if the key is out, or go off with the key.

Antennae: The 1/4 wave 108''[?] whip is the best. Twin Truckers [''Rabbit Ears''] are cool and if you're sporting West Coast Junior mirrors, you can mount them there. If moving the rig between trucks, you'll want a magnetic mounted stubby. These are OK for copying the mail, but don't get out [transmit] very well.
The antenna socket in any CB rig is an SO-239 and the antenna line connector is a PL-259. Antenna cable is a sheathed coaxial type with internal resistance of 50 Ohms, type RG-58/U. It's important you get the proper resistance cable as without it you will burn up the final stage of your transmitter. Don't transmit without an antenna or a dummy 50 Ohn plug, or you will ''let the Blue Smoke'' out.
Truck stops are the best current source for these things, as Radio Shack has folded.

If the manufacturor's supplied mounting bracket has been lost, you can make your own out of light gauge strap steel. You'll want a piece, less than 2'' wide, that's the width of the rig across the back, plus the sides. Bend the sides down, radius them and drill 1/4'' holes in the centers of your 'ears' for the mounting thumbscrews. These screws can be had from Ace Hardware and are 1/4''-20 with round, black plastic knobs. If you want to go cheap and fast, you could use perforated 'plumbers tape'.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 01-28-2018 at 05:27 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote