View Single Post
Old 10-07-2022, 11:28 AM   #295
vintovka

Re: 50 years ago I was given this USAF 54 3100

While replacing the column dimmer switch my "life clock" reminded me that doing this stuff at my age is coming to a grinding halt very soon. That said i bit the bullet and went for all the hard as heck under dash repairs that could not wait any longer. Pulled both speedo and gauges to work on them. Had to pull headlight and starter switch's to get to them. First replaced the old dim led turn signals. These were add on custom ones between the gauges and were way too dim. New crystal green ones are very bright and came with wires attached. The wires on these are best connected with alarm style "bean" crimp connectors. Also Replaced all the crumbling wiring to the gauges including the illumination sockets, headlight indicator and converted the old turn signal indicator into a alternator light. Had to scrape off the original Green plastic lens and replace it with a red one. I rebuilt all the bulb sockets with new wires except for the alternator light one. I used an all plastic socket as it cannot be grounded. All but the Headlight and alternator bulbs were replaced with LEDs as well. Even reconfigured the vent handle for easier use. I put everything back and will save any instrument conversion for later.

As you know working under the cramped AD dash is tough on arms, back and neck. I use long thick socks with the toes cut off as arm guards to protect my 70+ year paper thin hide. It works. Tylenol and Voltaren works well for neck and body. Jack Daniels helps as well.

Happy with result and may post pics soon as i recover. Hard to think this may be last time for this old man.

Last edited by vintovka; 10-07-2022 at 11:40 AM.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote