View Single Post
Old 12-05-2021, 10:49 PM   #248
72cs20

Re: Project 1966 K20 adventure rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350TacoZilla View Post
Looks good man and doing it yourself is pretty satisfying I bet. I can't believe local shop wanted that much, cheaper to buy all new at that point! Makes you wonder how they stay in business if that's their rates just for a re-arch and add a leaf (or two). I have often made Frankenstein packs for my trucks to try and tune the ride vs hauling ability but have also had local place re-arch my springs for I think $100-150 but that was 10 years ago by now lol.
Quite satisfying indeed! Nice to re-use old parts and a few hours of time. I did need to install new longer travel shocks. The ride is firm and solid but not jarring. This old truck rides way better than my 2017 F-250.

Still working on and making adjustments to the little things. I made up a set of new spark plug wires to replace the old cobbled together set. Smoother running engine now.

The parts house engine fan clutch decided to fail in the locked mode. Amazing how loud it is in the cab with a locked fan clutch. It got replaced with a severe service Hayden unit.

Made an adjustment to the accelerator linkage at the throttle body throttle lever. Drilled a new hole a little higher on the throttle lever for a more smooth transition off idle. Much improved drivability.

And I finally dealt with the lack of brake adjustment slots on the brake backing plate of this 14 bolt axle. Drilled and slotted new holes and installed plugs. And I discovered that I had put an left side brake shoe adjuster in the right side. Sheesh!

Just another week of working through the to-do list to ensure a good driving classic. Not real exciting and thanks for reading and following along.
Attached Images