View Single Post
Old 10-03-2021, 12:40 PM   #50
MikeB

Re: I caused a back up at the drive through today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joedoh View Post
i watched a new guy working the register at the grocery hand back the original total in change to at least two people in front of me. saw him do it to the first and it made me pay attention, when he did it to the second I spoke up. the guy getting 44.53 back in change from handing him two twenties and a ten shot me dirty looks. I explained to the clerk what he was doing wrong, he turned pale, must have been doing it a while. drawer was probably short for a while.

i thought the guy who was getting "long changed" (is that the opposite of short chenged?) was going to wait for me in the parking lot, missed out on his 88% discount.
Way back in the day I worked at a convenience store where a cashier would tell the customer the price before he rang anything up. For example he knew the price on a loaf of bread and gallon of milk. If the customer didn't say anything, he put the money in the drawer and pocketed it later. If the customer asked for a receipt, he'd go ahead ring it up. That way the cash drawer would never be "short." Somewhat clever but a bit ballsy. He eventually got caught and fired, even they there were no cameras back then. In fact, he might have been arrested.

This could also be done by ringing up only part of the items brought through checkout by an accomplice. I worked at another job where a co-worker was explaining scams like this to me, and wanted to get my help. One of his "selling points" was there would be minimal if any jailtime.
1981 C10 Silverado LWB -- sold, but wish I still had it!
1969 C10 (not the current one) that I bought in the early 1980s. Paid $1200; sold for $1500 a few years later. Just a hint at the appreciation that was coming.
Retired as a factory automation products salesman.
Worked part-time over the years for an engine builder and a classic car repair shop.
Member here for 23 years! This is the very first car/truck Internet forum I joined. I still used a dial-up modem back then!
MikeB is offline   Reply With Quote