View Single Post
Old 08-31-2009, 09:11 AM   #30
lks dcvn

Gas Gauge Fix

Since I had some free time over the weekend I decided to try and get the gas gauge working...pull the tan wire from the fuse box - no change in the needle when the key is in the on position...grounded out somewhere.

I checked the ground - cleaned up the metal and then reinstalled it - whoever thought that the design of these things was a good idea - was an idiot - If I had smaller hands that would have helped, but nonetheless - I was able to get it back together...no dice - still grounded out somewhere.

I didn't want to drop the tank since that would have taken a lot more time so I traced the wiring and didn't find anything suspect...so I figured the only good way would be to drop the tank and check the sending unit.

My last experience with this was draining the tank, dropping the tank, and then replacing the sending unit. The last one I changed had a broken float and the thing was black and corroded - so it needed replaced anyway.

Well - I had a spare poly tank that I was going to use in another project in the garage with a new sending unit - so I figured it would be an easy swap...wrong.

Drained the tank - 17 gals later (I have only put in a few gals from my gas cans since I have owned it) - so thanks to the PO for filling it up right before delivery - - I don't think that he intended to do this. That took about 30-45 mins.

To do this - I had to cut the factory line from the tank to the fill neck since the line was ripped up a bit from the clamps and the POs work on it...last time - so it needed to be replaced anyway. New hose and new clamps on the grocery list at NAPA.

Then I move onto the bolts that hold the tank straps to the frame - I put my socket on the bolt - one turn and the damn thing breaks off -

I then loosen the bolt that is holding the tank on so I can drop it down and remove the wires from the sending unit - no dice - guess I will have to try the other bolt - that breaks off as well - so now I drop the tank and figure I will come back and take care of the bolts at reinstall time...

I drop the tank to see the entire sending unit rusted beyond belief. I got a few pix of it and will post them later. I was actually surprised to see it was that bad. Anything I can put on the new one to prevent this (dielectric grease on the ground and sending unit connection)? Also there was a splice/reconnection in the sending unit wire near the connector - not sure why somebody would do that - - so that will be inspected and fixed prior to putting this back up in the frame rails.

I then went to get the bolts off the frame for the straps - that snapped off a bit ago - they were carriage bolts so I had nothing to get them off and the other bolts were not going anywhere since the threads of the bolts were solid rust - I love Ohio.

I get the sawsall out and try to get a decent angle on the bolts - not happening - so I get out the cut off wheel and they grudgingly came out after 15 mins of cutting and trying not to burn the truck down.

Now, the last time I did this my local Napa had the fuel hose in stock so I drive down there to get it - nope - other store has it though (20-25 mins across town) - so I figure - why not. I show up and they don't have any either - special order only. Now the other one close to home is closed...next time I will call and have them confirm that they have it.

I will have to call it in today and get the hose later on my way home...hopefully I can get to it tonight when I get home. If not, it might not happen this week - since I am booked solid for the remainder of it.

Also - when this was driven up from Columbus the PO said that he had the console and the rear side panels (crappy shape - but could be used for a template) - and he would be up near me again sometime he would drop them off...that was in April.

I have called every now and again to see when he would be up and he called me on Saturday to tell me he found some other things as well..

1. Beauty Rings for the 6 lug rallys
2. A/C Brackets for a 350 - not sure if all 7 are there - we will see.
3. A/C lines for the system

He will be up in 2-3 weeks and will bring it with him. So if this stuff is in good shape - the deal just got sweeter.
lks dcvn is offline   Reply With Quote