View Single Post
Old 05-21-2021, 01:11 PM   #130
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Re: Hard Starting Hot

I got my rebuilt carb back from QuadraJet Power two days ago. I have gone back to stock config for this carb, so no heat shield or spacers. Just the normal Carb Gasket between Carb and Manifold.

Twice where I thought I'd have hard starting after warm up, she started within 1/2 to 1 crank. So that seems interesting fix but this will take some time before I am really convinced.

I wished it was all rainbows and butterflies but its not. I have to say QuadraJet Power is not very helpful. Even with giving them the benefit of the doubt on how busy they must be, they lack helpful responses. Its like if they write more than 5 words some shock buzzer will zap them. Then good luck getting two responses in a day. My guess, they can't suffer fools / novices.

Anyways, I can't seem to get her drive decently while putting along normally. She is stubbly when giving little / regular driving peddle. If I punch her (near or at WOT), well hold on because she'll throw you out the door. I have resorted to carrying my screwdriver with me to tweak the mixtures screws a bit every 1000 ft or so - not really making progress. But I am going to keep at it - since I am sure I am just a idiot.

2nd problem - yesterday morning and today took me ages to get her started. It was like when I first installed the carb. So I am sure the gas is going away, I assume, from the bowl. My old carb never did this even after setting for days without being started - she has always been a happy cold starer. One of Quadjet Power's longer replies was:
Quote:
Fuel can be backflowing after shut off and emptying the bowl, so it has to fill during initial cranking which is common. You can add a check valve to the filter, which is restrictive. Best long term remedy is adding an electric fuel pump for quick fills when key is turned on, like modern cars.
Okay, my Googling came up with more or less the same answer (other than leaking plug thingys or adding a electric fuel pump). I doubled checked my old carb, there seems to be no kind of check valve installed on the filter. I ordered one, it's only a few dollars, but why all of a sudden do I need one? Now I am risking adding a "restrictive" flow? Is there something in my older carb (which was made in 78) combating back flowing? I'd assume Quadjet Power could have suggested this but they completely ignored that part my of question. Then I can't believe the electric fuel pump suggestion... that seems extreme to me.

Over the weekend I'll keep my testing up but I have a feeling I am going to be defeated and have to take it to the shop down the street for a proper tune up. FYI - I'm at 12 degrees initial timing (I did try for a but 14 and 16 no help).

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote