View Single Post
Old 05-22-2021, 03:04 PM   #137
RustyPile

Re: Hard Starting Hot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
I find it doubtful the fuel evaporation in less than 10 hours, overnight in cool-ish weather. It surely cannot be plugs (I have read a LOT about them), unless it wasn't rebuilt correctly by Quadjet Power - they aren't supposed to be any other places better (unless you got one done by Lars).

I went to great length to get the correct 72 Qjet for my truck (the one I took off was from a 78 Chevy Truck 17058213). But here is my number: 7042208. Which now has been worked on by Quadrajet Power (modified to Performance II). You wouldn't believe what I spend on the carb and then to have it worked on. Not to mention 18 weeks of waiting (and the two before it getting the 7042208).

I thought I was on to something when I found the truck will idle now at ~600 RPM's with throttle fully closed.. it will not die anymore with throttle closed.

From Mark @QP
Quote:
I find it doubtful the fuel evaporation in less than 10 hours, overnight in cool-ish weather.
The reservoir in a QJet holds only a few oz. of fuel.. Given the right vapor pressure, in a fully warmed up engine ALL of it will evaporate in a matter of minutes, no matter what the weather.. If this happens and it comes time to restart the engine, 1 or 2 strokes of the fuel pump puts enough fuel in that tiny reservoir for the engine to start, making one think evaporation has not taken place....

Quote:
It surely cannot be plugs
And you know this how?? Do you know how to check for leaking metering well plugs??

I stick with my original diagnosis: Either evaporation or leaking metering well plugs.. Both can easily be checked if one knows how..

I can't vouch for nor complain against any of the aforementioned carburetor rebuilders.. I have no need of their services as I do my own carburetor work..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote