View Single Post
Old 05-09-2014, 05:45 PM   #38
Purcell69

Re: 1957 Chevy 3100, meet 1994 Dodge Ram 1500

Yesterday morning I got after it again once the rain stopped. I removed the radiator and core support from the Dodge frame. Then I rolled the engine out on the stand and pulled the exhaust manifolds off to give me a little extra working room. With the manifolds out of the way, I bolted up the mounts I had cut from the frame and put them on either side of the engine, attached to the motor mounts.

^^^ Helper Kitty here to supervise ^^^

Once this was done, I placed a jack under the transmission and raised the front so I could remove the support I have bolted to the bellhousing. Then came the fun part...I pulled out the engine crane to raise the motor and removed the engine stand adapter. Since there is no sheet metal in the way, it was pretty easy to mate the engine to the transmission. After the engine and transmission were connected, I put the core support back in place and found I have ample clearance between the engine and radiator now.

When I was satisfied that the engine was in position with the transmission sitting level and no longer supported by the jack, I tacked the motor mount brackets to the frame, then removed the radiator and core support, and pulled the engine back out for final welding of the engine mount brackets.

The engine mount brackets were raised about 1" and moved rear 2". This leaves plenty of space between the stock 5.9 fan and the radiator.

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote