View Single Post
Old 10-08-2020, 08:51 PM   #2
RustyPile

Re: Help with Choke/idle Settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by conoco View Post
I can't seem to set my electric choke correctly and wondering what I am missing. I have watched videos and played with multiple settings. Here is the problem

I am in Alaska and it is starting to get cold. Just installed 1906 AVS2 and it runs great. I will go out first thing in the morning my truck will fire right up. Goes up to about 1500 rpms which is where I have the high idle set so it warms up faster ( Specially when it starts hitting 0° and lower) it will run great and strong for about 2 minutes and then it will slowly start bogging down until it starts sputtering and eventually dying. I will go through that process about 2 times until I just keep my foot on the gas a little so it stays current and warms up. After it warms up it run great.

Here is what I have done so far.
Changed my timing to 8° advanced ( I have 20-22 vacuum at idle)
I have unscrewed the choke and adjusted it all the way to the top mark which from what I read will make it stay closed the longest?
I have played with my idle mixture screws and everything seems fine.

The only thing I can think of now is maybe I have to much fuel pressure? I have a fuel pressure gauge installed and it reads 6-7 psi. I had a Holley carb and switched to the AVS. That's the only thing I can think of now.

Like I said once it warms up it runs great. No hesitation, no missing, it rips through first ans second.

Just hoping someone might know what I am doing wrong or what I can start trouble shooting.

I do have 2 separate plug in heaters. ( 1 for the engine block and 1 for the transmission) If I parked outside I would use them however my truck stays parked in the garage. But thats not the point. I would like to leave it outside in cold weather and know I can fire it right up and it will warm up without me being there. Any help would be great. Thanks everyone.
As soon as the engine first starts from dead cold, the choke should open slightly - about 1/4" to maybe 5/16"... Does it?? If it doesn't, the engine will "starve" for air and die.. Adjust the choke pull mechanism that opens the choke after engine starts...
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote