View Single Post
Old 10-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
McMurphy

Re: Not Another Rebuild Thread....

Thanks for the replies guys!
I was on the fence about the camper shell until I met and talked with TDaley the last registered owner and found out some of the history of the truck.

It started life as an Air Force fleet of trucks that were sublet to a local communications company for their linemen to use in keeping the Air Force Base lines up. It was the dark, Air Force blue and came with the 292 IL6 and as you can see on the passenger side fender, the "slave cable" jumper outlet. It served in this capacity until the AF retired it, and the fellow it had been assigned to bid on the option to buy it. I guess he had it for a number of years until owner #3 (TDaley) got it. He is the one that built the camper and he dated his wife in this truck. He used it to haul his fishing boat down to Anchorage until he threw a rod in the engine coming back to Fairbanks.

He had it hauled away by a local boneyard, never to see it again; or so he thought. It traded hands to 2 other fellows until it came to a 6 year rest in the yard behind the business where I found it. The young guy I got it from said his dad was going to do something with it, but died before he could get anywheres with it, and so there it sat until I came along. In reality I am the 6th owner, but by documentation I am the 4th. Not sure if there is an equivalent to the Pontiac Historical Services for these trucks, but it would be nice to have all that information for car shows.

The truck is incredibly solid, as is the camper, which will only take some wood glue, caulk, a few replacement parts, stain and some laquer to refinish.
My plans for this truck are to use it to haul my 66 Tempest to car shows that are outside of Spokane in order to attend, and still keep my odo milage down. Something deep in the back of my soul is saying that a 66 truck hauling a 66 converible would be something to see at a car show....
Right now I just want to get it back on the road with some look and style, some repair and upgrades, but hold off on a frame off until I get my shop built back home. Then it will be a retirement project for me after I get the house built.

First pic is 25sep11 of the bed of the truck which had 2" of dirt and dust, 3 batteries, my driveline, 4sp transmission, heater box assembly with 2 cores, and a few other misc parts that I may or may not need or use.
Second pic is the bed after a bit of cleaning. I was totally surprised that I only had 1 broken board in my bed and none were rotted out. Though my metal bed rails are rusted to
Attached Images

My 66 Stepside
My 64 Tow Truck
My 66 Tempest

Table Of Contents Added to Page1

Last edited by McMurphy; 10-02-2011 at 04:36 PM.
McMurphy is offline   Reply With Quote