View Single Post
Old 12-26-2015, 12:13 PM   #1
Chevy 350 Fan

One Wire Alternator Conversion

Hey guys I'm a senior in high school, I have a 72 GMC C20. I installed an American Auto wire kit on this truck. The one part I have yet to figure out is the alternator. I think I would rather run an internally regulated because I had nothing but problems with the externally regulated. So I was going to go to auto zone and get an alternator for like an 80's truck. Now my question is how do I hook it up? I no longer have the wires for the regulator set up (truck caught on fire few months ago and I gutted all that ****) So all I have is the brown wire coming out of the firewall connector. According to my diagram and what I remember there are 4 wires for the regulator: blue white, red and brown. From what I've read you connect white to red and brown to blue. So since I'm starting from scratch here in my mind I think I ought to be able to run the brown wire straight to the alternator and splice the red power wire coming off the back and have it go to the other connector on the side of the alternator and then the other lead go to the battery. does that sound acceptable to you guys? Here's a picture of a wiring diagram I found on how to do it. FYI I do have the factory diagram as well and wire colors match up. let me know what you think
Thanks!
Chevy 350 Fan is offline   Reply With Quote