Vic1947

Re: 57 Chevy Wagon - Californa Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol Blue K20 View Post
Nice job Vic, I never doubted you could get it done. Awesome
Thanks, Dale.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
Looks great Vic....how heavy is the tailgate when lifting it?....I've been thinking about it and wondered if you could hook a scale to the bottom of it and see how much force it takes to open..and how heavy it is when in the open position....may help determine what gas shocks you may need..but I'm guessing you dont have hinges yet...
Hey Greg. I installed the window and hardware temporarily the other day and the whole thing weighs approximately 52 lbs. according to the bathroom scales. The center of mass is almost exactly halfway from the top to the bottom. The gas struts I have range from about 50# full open to 60# closed. I think the only way to know for sure if the struts will work is to wait until the tailgate is fully assembled and try them. Until then, the stock sliders work just fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Advanced Design View Post
Really nice work on the tailgate Vic! And the chassis....drool!
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockinKees View Post
Awesome build!!
Just saw this and read it through.
Very, very creative work here!
I will for sure follow along.

I am on the hunt for a ‘57 Wagon too. Have seen three wagons now, the fourth (the best until now) is “in the mail” Let’s see what comes out of it.
Did I see this Wagon over on the Trifive board?
Yes. I have a parallel build thread going there as well. I have a lot of friends on the truck forum, so when I found this wagon, I wanted to take advantage of their suggestions. The tri-five forum is more suited to this build, but I have a feeling that only a few members are following it since I have no history on there. Good luck with your search. I passed up several before a buddy tipped me to this one on FB marketplace.
Maybelline - my '57 Ford 2dr Sedan "Mecum'd" 3/2016 Location unknown
Silver Streaker "Mecum'd" 4/2013 Somewhere in Texas
Vic1947 is offline   Reply With Quote