Thread: Dies at Idle
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2022, 04:01 PM   #1
Classics Fan

Dies at Idle

Good NFL Sunday! I have a 1971 Jimmy with 35,000 miles on the rebuilt original engine. What I assume to be the original Quadrajet is on the truck. It doesn’t have a choke but does have factory manual throttle that I use for cold start warm-up. It’s been converted to HEI ignition.

My problem is with idle. The vast majority of the time, like 9 times out of 10, even after warm-up it will idle nicely at around 850 RPM (IIRC) for around a minute then slowly develop a stumble, and if there is no addition throttle input it will eventually die. It also has a slight off-idle stumble on acceleration. I have replaced the fuel filter, checked and set timing, replaced HT leads and olugs, and gone over the engine a number of times and am confident there aren’t any vacuum leaks in the plumbing. I sprayed the throttle shaft and carb base plate with Berrymans, but there was no noticeable increase in RPM to indicate vacuum leaks in those areas. The only possible thing that I can think of is a problem in the carb idle circuit. I have never worked on any type of carburetor beyond setting idle mixture, which, by the way I have done on this vehicle as well. Does anybody have any thoughts or ideas on where the problem could lie besides what I’m thinking? TIA for any input!
Posted via Mobile Device
Classics Fan is offline   Reply With Quote