View Single Post
Old 10-04-2021, 12:37 AM   #27
caseyjones

Re: 1964 GMC Palomino Tan Survivor

New radiator arrived and is installed. I cut strips from a leftover fuel filler hose to replace the original rubber bumpers in the brackets, since the tanks on the new radiator don't have the same shape as the original Harrison. Otherwise it fit up well.

With that, I was able to take the truck for a run around the block with the new suspension and brakes. First impressions are that the brake feel isn't as good as I had hoped and it needs the c-notches before I drive it anymore. I need to put some steering stop bolts on the spindles, too. It looks great though!

Saturday morning, tried to roll it onto the street to back it into the garage and it stalled and wouldn't start...neighbors helped me push it out of traffic and I ran out to get a new battery. Pushed my luck with the one that came in the truck, I knew it wasn't good for much more than one start on an overnight charge.

Got it turned around and stripped off the bondo on the passenger rear of the bed. It was was oil-canned out with a bunch of hidden damage. I spent the better part of today pounding on it, learning to use a shrinking disc, re-welding the brace over the wheel opening and teaching myself how hammer and dolly works. Now the bed side holds shape in a relatively straight line from front to back. There's still a big concave area and some high spots in bad places that I need to work on.

This photo is from when I bought it:

This photo is just after I stripped out the bondo.

This is after all the beating and shrinking:

I'm going to get this bed side pretty close and then start cutting it down to a short bed.

Last edited by caseyjones; 10-05-2021 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Pictures. People love pictures.
caseyjones is offline   Reply With Quote