View Single Post
Old 01-16-2019, 04:15 AM   #105
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: Build that 71 402 already

Got my oil pump and pan installed. Here's three clips you don't see every day. I'm not 100% sure the correct pan bolts are being used, but it's the best info. I've got. Hopefully I don't have to relocate, but I doubt I will. There's very little information on these, especially a BBC.

The transmission lines retainer seems pretty rare, and no it's not a battery cable clip. I pulled it approaching 30 years ago, just happened to keep it.

The original pan is 8", and I put the pick-up at 7.7/10", which leaves a happy medium between 1/4" and 3/8" from the bottom of the pan. Buddy of mine ran a bead around the pickup and pump.

Yeah the pan and block are off a shade. The painter is the best, but two completely set of situations and metals. I brushed the block with three coats of engine enamel, while he "matched" the color, primer'd and sprayed with automotive paint, and topped that with a clear coat. He did the valve covers as well, so they'll vary too. I'll get used to it. Looking forward to the day the engine compartment is done.

There doesn't seem to be much info. how to seal a one piece oil pan gasket. This is how I did it. Input always welcome.
Attached Images

71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote