View Single Post
Old 11-07-2019, 12:16 AM   #10
toolboxchev

Re: Aftermarket parts question.

The term "Meets or Exceeds OEM" recommendation comes to mind. I posed this question to a local Napa on some brake shoes for a 3/4 ton application for both front and rear.

GM OEM spec is and was bonded riveted.

Napa hands me some bonded shoes.

Napa responds, the glues they use are of a higher quality than 50 years ago. Which of course is very believable.

What I do not believe is that if I am coming down a mountain towing or fully loaded is that any type of modern glue is going to hold when that lining starts burning.

Watch out for the type of lining you buy. The OEM spec for the drum or disk for that matter has to be able to withstand the lining material.

Metals, on the other hand, have come a long way. They can be stronger, yet more brittle. I like to keep my truck stock and some cheap brands have been able to modernize their manufacturing.

Just recently I found from outer bearings for 5 bucks apiece, instead of 40 for Timken. So far so good, The Timkens held for 12 years when I first acquired my truck.

Moog problem solver line for suspension is a great example of redesigning factory replacement parts. It is proven with them, having been around for a while.

Be careful with new technologies, some are not worth a dime. Products that are proven through reputation is the methodology I stick with.
toolboxchev is offline   Reply With Quote