View Single Post
Old 11-22-2021, 01:16 PM   #24
chev-obsession

Re: A grandpa’s camper truck resurrection

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj847 View Post
On the inner fenders, I would scrub them with a scotch-brite pad and dawn dishwashing liquid. Them spray them with a can of Krylon or other SATIN black, not gloss.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEEVON View Post
What a difference that hot water pressure washer made! I bet that was a mess, but rewarding.
Yes it made a huge mess! It was about 38* yesterday when I pressure washed the truck so it made for a COLD day. And the steam made it difficult to see what I was doing since it was so cold out. As for the mess… I did all of the washing in the dirt where it’s ok to be messy. It made a huge puddle, should have taken a picture of it, but didn’t think about it at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
Nice find!

You may be way ahead of me already, but after changing the coolant and t-stat, I'd change the oil & filter, shoot an ounce of oil in each spark plug hole, and turn the engine over by hand. If all feels good, then check cylinder cranking pressure. If that looks OK, then fire her up to see if she runs. Probably would be good to pre-lube the engine since the distributor will be out anyway.

Speaking of the distributor, don't forget to bypass the ignition ballast resistor when you connect the HEI.

Also, I wouldn't worry about the heads initially. What are the casting numbers? If it's 3932454 they should be 76cc chambers with either 1.72" or 1.94" intake valves. I'd suspect 1.94" for a 350 and 1.72" for a 307. But hopefully they are not crack-prone like later smog castings. When you do go to modern heads, you probably shouldn't go smaller that 70cc chambers unless they're aluminum, or pre-ignition could be a problem.

Have fun bringing her back to life!
Yes I was planing to do all of that. I was planning to change all of the fluids, spark plugs, wires, etc… tube up type stuff. I need to get an oil priming tool, I have a friend that has one, I’ll have to reach out to him. I have already turned it over by hand and it seems to feel good but haven’t turned it over with the starter. I have a few items to sort out before I do that.

As for the engine/heads, I had pulled a valve cover when I pulled the carb. The casting number I can’t remember but they are the later, lighter castings that crack easily. And they’re made in Mexico, so I have a friend looking for a better set of heads.

Thanks for all of the encouragement, I’ll keep you guys posted!